Things We Know About Jesus
1) He was called the __________________________________________. (Matthew 1:16; 16:16,20)
Christ is the Greek form of ___________________________________ , (John 1:41) which literally means
2) The ministry of Jesus (from His baptism to His crucifixion) lasted ________________________ years.
3) Jesus was described by John the Baptist as the __________________________________ (John 1:29, 36)
4) Jesus was crucified on the Jewish holiday of __________________________________, (Matthew 26:2) this was a from (Exodus 12:21-24) and was a foreshadow of Christ because ____________________________________________________________________
5) When Jesus died on the cross certain things happened,
A)_______________________________________________________ (Mark 15:33)
B) ______________________________________________________ (Matthew 27:50,51)
C) ______________________________________________________ (Matthew 27:51b-53)
6) It was foretold that the Messiah would be mistreated (Isaiah 53: 3-10) notice all the things that were mentioned to occur.
7) Today Jesus is our ___________________________. (Hebrews 9:13)
He made a __________________________ with His death. (Jeremiah 31:31; Luke 22:20; Hebrews 8:8; 13; Hebrews 12:24)
8) Regarding the Old Testament sacrifices and the temple work, Jesus said that _____________________ _____________________________________________ (Matthew 23:37,38) yet the act of sacrifices still were carried out until the __________________________________________________________________ as foretold by Jesus in (Matthew 24:1,2) by the Romans under the leadership of the general Titus.
9) The duration of the exile in Babylon was to last ____________ years described in Jeremiah 25:11-13 and Jeremiah 29:10. After the end of those years a decree was issued to return home (Ezra 1:1,2)
70 weeks (of years) or 70 -7 year periods = 490 years total starting with the Decree to rebuild from Ezra 1:1. With three divisions; 7 weeks =49 years, 62 weeks = 434 years; 1week =7 years for a total of 490 years or 70 weeks of years.
Reread Daniel 9:25-27 and see how much is now easier to understand
THE SEVENTY WEEKS
All of these things are to take place within the scope of “seventy weeks” – literally, “seventy sevens.” Just as Daniel had been reading of 70 years of captivity, so now he is told that 70 weeks remain.
This reckoning of time seems very foreign to us since we count time by tens, adding up either decades or centuries. The Jews, on the other hand, were Sabbath oriented. It is for this reason that they counted time by parts of seven. Every seven years they had a year-long holiday. Every 49th year all of their debts were forgiven.
Such groups of sevens is not unusual in the Scriptures. A similar wording is used in Leviticus 25:6 where seven weeks of years is said to refer to the 49 years between Jubilees.
In Numbers 14:34, the Israelites were told that the 40 years they would spend in the Wilderness would correspond to the 40 days that the spies spent in the land of Canaan. Ezekiel was instructed to lie on his left side for 390 days and on his right side for 40 days. This was to be understood as a day for each year (Ezekiel 4:6).
I want to suggest that these 70 weeks are to be understood by each day of these “weeks” representing a single year. This means that we are dealing with a period of 70 weeks of year – a total of 490 years.
7 Weeks 62 Weeks + 1 Week 70 Weeks
49 Years 434 Years + 7 Years 490 Years